Turnage, Anne-Marie, MA
History and Geography
Location: Colson Hall, Room 101F
Ph.D., Geography, West Virginia University, ABD
Graduate Certificate, Women’s Studies Program, Wester Virginia University, 2000
M.A., History, West Virginia University, 1995
B.A., Anthropology, Mary Washington College, 1990
Research and Teaching Interest
Rural and Gender Geography, Informal Economy, Qualitative and Community-Based Research Methods, Global Studies, Geography of Developing Nations, Service Learning
Representative Scholarly Activity
- Turnage, A. (2008) “AmeriCorps,” The Hemlock, v. 2., i. 4.
- Oberhauser, Ann M., Amy Pratt and Anne- Marie Turnage (2001) “Unraveling Appalachia’s Rural Economy: The Case of a Flexible Manufacturing Network,” Journal of Appalachian Studies
- Oberhauser, Ann M. and Anne- Marie Turnage (1999) “Weaving the Socio- economic Fabric of Women’s Lives in the Central Appalachian Coalfields” in Barbara Ellen Smith (ed.) Neither Separate Nor Equal: Women, Race and Class in the U. S. South (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1999).
- Contributor (1998) Sciences of the Earth: An Historical Encyclopedia (New York: Garland Press).
- Macneal, Patricia and Bonelyn Kyofsky and Kenneth Thigpen (1997) Headwaters and Hardwoods: The Folklore, Cultural History and Traditional Arts of the Pennsylvania Northern Tier (Mansfield: Northern Tier Cultural Alliance). Reviewed for Now and Then: The Appalachian Magazine, v. 14, n. 3.
- Peyton, Billy J. and Anne- Marie Turnage (1996) Unite … the Most Remote Corners: An Archaeological and Historical Survey of the Staunton- Parkersburg Turnpike. Technical Report. Morgantown, WV: Institute for the History of Technology and Industrial Archaeology, West Virginia University.
- “Placing Local Food Access Issues into a Global Context,” Council of Urban and Metropolitan Universities, Denver, October 2017.
- “Global Service- Learning in Morocco’s High Atlas Mountains: Values to Results,” Dalton Institute on College Student Values; Florida State University; Tallahassee, Florida; February 2012.
- “Local and Global Partnerships: Where Study Abroad and Service- Learning Meet,” Region VIII NAFSA Conference; Philadelphia, PA; November 2011.
- “Learning the lessons our places are teaching us: Global Service- learning in Morocco’s High Atlas Mountains,” African Regional Conference on Community University Partnerships and Community Based Research; Cheikh Anta Diop University; Dakar, Senegal; March 2011.
- Roundtable Moderator, “Establishing Reciprocal Relationships with Communities,” PA/NY Campus Compact Retreat, Honesdale, PA, May 2008.
- “Global Service- Learning,” LHUP New Faculty Internationalization Program, at Tecnologico de Monterrey- Campus Zacatecas, Zacatecas, Mexico, May 2008.
- “Integrating Global Service- Learning into Medical Education: Understanding Nutrition and Health among the Amazighen in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco,” Community Empowerment Conference, SUNY- Binghamton University, October 2007.
- “Best Practices in International Service- Learning,” Pennsylvania Council for International Education, September 2007.
- Invited Presenter for “Breaking New Ground for Regional Stewardship: Community Centered Teaching and Learning” Conference, Morehead State University, April 2-5, 2007.
- “Hillbilly Land: Poverty and Geographic ‘Othering’ “Pennsylvania Campus Compact Annual Conference, March 2007.
- “The Engaged Department,” Pennsylvania Campus Compact Annual Conference, March 2007.
- “Engaging Students in Service- Learning through Disaster Relief: a Case Study,” National Conference on Volunteering and Service, Seattle, Washington, June 18- 20, 2006.
- “Service, Community and Citizenship,” International Partnership for Service- Learning Annual Conference, Chiang Mai, Thailand, January 2004.
- Invited Presenter, “Community Service- Learning, Reflection and Geographic Scale,” Pennsylvania Communication Association Annual Conference, October 2003.
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Volunteer of the Year, Downtown Lock Haven, Inc., 2007.
- Lock Haven University, Woman of Distinction Award, Nominee, 2006
- Model Program, Pennsylvania Campus Compact, 2004
- Excellence in Leadership Development Award, Lock Haven University Celebration of Leadership & Service, 2004
- Student Organization of the Year (AmeriCorps) Award, Lock Haven University Celebration of Leadership & Service, 2003
- Leadership Clinton County, selected as a participant for, and successfully completed, a year- long leadership training program sponsored by The Pennsylvania State University Extension Service, 2001- 2002.
- Employee of the Year Award, Rotary, June 2000.
- Administered almost $600,000 in grant funding to support service- learning, civic engagement and community- based research from the following:
- Cameron Foundation (administered)
- Virginia Mentoring Project
- AmeriCorps* VISTA
- Corporation for National & Community Service
- AmeriCorps* VISTA
- Pennsylvania Campus Compact
- Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development
- Bonner Foundation
- Pennsylvania Service Learning Alliance
- Lock Haven University Presidential Initiative Grant
- WVU Travel/Research Grant
- West Virginia Geographical Alliance Travel Grant
Representative Service Activity
- Advisory Group member, Pennsylvania Campus Compact, 2010- 2012
- Grant Reviewer, Pennsylvania Campus Compact Learn & Serve grants, 2007- 08
- Co-Chair, Conference Planning Committee, 2007-08, Active Global Citizenship Conference; Lock Haven, PA
- Conference Planning Committee, 2006- 07, Pennsylvania Campus Compact
- Section Co-editor, 2000- present, Encyclopedia of Appalachia
- Scholarship Committee Member, 2000- 2001, Appalachian Studies Association
- International Education Advisory Council, Virginia State University, 2013- present
- Faculty Development Speaker series on Service- Learning and Civic Engagement, Virginia State University, 2014- 15
- Faculty Senate, Outreach Committee, Virginia State University, 2013- present
- Honors Convocation speaker and Faculty Development, Virginia State University, April 2013
- International Studies Task Force, Lock Haven University, 2010- 12
- International Student Recruiting Subcommittee
- Teaching and Learning Committee, Lock Haven University, 2008- 12, Service- Learning Task Force Chair
- Board Member, Think Then Choose Wisely, Petersburg, VA, 2017- 18
- Board Member, Rebuilding Together Tri- Cities, Petersburg, VA 2013- 15
- Board Member, Lock Haven Salvation Army, 2012- 12
- Board Member, Clinton County Big Brothers/Big Sisters, 2006- 09
- Vestry Member, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, State College, PA, 2005- 2008
- Member, Clinton County Collaborative Board, 1999- 2012