Mango, Cheryl, Ph.D.
Location: Colson Hall, Room 101
Ph.D., History, Morgan State University, 2016
M.A., History, Louisiana Tech University, 2012
B.A. History, Grambling State University, 2009
B.A. Political Science, Grambling State University, 2009
Research and Teaching Interest
American Presidents' relationships with Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Social media's role in shaping and framing the Black experience, Public/archival history, African-American, African Diasporan, and Twentieth Century US History
Representative Scholarly Activity
- “Afrocentricity and Religion”, in Douglas Thomas and Temilola Alanamu, editors, African Religions: Belefs and Practices through History, (Santa Barbara CA: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming August 2018).
- “Respectability,” in Steven A. Reich, editor, The World of Jim Crow: A Daily Life Encyclopedia, (Santa Barbara CA: Greenwood Press, forthcoming).
- “Oprah Winfrey,” coauthor, in Jessie C. Smith and Lean’tin Bracks, editors, Encyclopedia of African American Business: Updated and Revised, (Denver, CO: Greenwood, 2017)
- “Black Radicalism, Black Consciousness, Black History, and Black YouTube: A New Age Revolution” Black Antislavery and the Atlantic World Conference, College of Charleston: Charleston, SC (February 8-10, 2019).
- “High Black Pressure! Racial Tension, Political Friction, and Jimmy Carter’s 1980 Creation of the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities,” National Association of African American Studies Conference, Dallas, TX (February 15, 2018).
- “Remembering, Evaluating, and Interpreting Black History at Black History Programs,” Beauregard Parish NAACP Program, February 2018, DeRidder, LA.
- “Contemplating the Implicit Declaration of Black-Self Love in Martin Luther King, Jr’s Philosophy,” MLK Community Commemoration, DeRidder, LA (2017)
- “Historical Fact or Fiction in Black Friday Social Media Memes,” News Television Special Segment, KSLA News 12, Monroe, LA (2016)
- “The White House Initiative on HBCUs and Virginia State Achieving ‘University’ Status,” Virginia State University History Department, Petersburg, VA (2015).
- “K-12 Journey to Careers Through a HBCU Education,” DeRidder High School Journey to Careers Classes, DeRidder, LA (2015). “K-12 Journey to Careers Through a HBCU Education,” DeRidder Jr. High School Journey to Careers Classes, DeRidder, LA (2015). “Social Justice and HBCUs,” Ebonite Culture Unlimited Club Inc. MLK Commemoration, DeRidder, LA (2015).
- “Valuing and Reinvesting Into Your HBCU Education,” Grambling State University History and Political Science Departments, Grambling, LA (2015). “
- Keep Black History Accurate and Alive By Creating and Maintaining a Church Archives,” Archival Workshop, Norris Memorial Church of God In Christ, DeRidder, LA (2013).
- “Yes, Lord!: Mary McLeod Bethune’s Religious and Political Crusade for Black Freedom,” Panel: “God- Politics: The Spiritual Motivations of Mary McLeod Bethune, Nannie Helen Burroughs, and Lillie Carol Jackson,” Association for the Study of African American Life and History Conference, Jacksonville, FL (2013).
- “Yes, Lord!: African-American Religious Resistance During Slavery,” Lambda-Rho Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, McGinty Trust, and Louisiana Tech’s History Department Black History Lecture, Ruston, LA (2012).
- “The Vital Role of African-Centeredness in Community College African-American History Education,” Community College of Baltimore County—Essex History Department, Essex, MD (2012).
- “Making Good Your ‘Justice for All’ Pledge of Allegiance,” DeRidder High School Black History Program, DeRidder, LA (2012).
- “More Than Transcending Race and Football: Eddie Robinson and the Stabilization of Grambling State University,” Lambda-Rho Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta Paper Conference, Grambling, LA (2011).
- “Honoring Your African Heritage, While Inspiring Change,” Ebonite Culture Unlimited Club Inc. MLK Commemoration, DeRidder, LA (2010).
- “Different Shades of Communism: Examining the Political Styles of Josef Stalin and Nikita Khrushchev,” Lambda-Rho Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta Paper Conference, Ruston, LA (2009).