Chew, Richard, Ph.D.
Location: Colson Hall, Room 101B
Ph.D., History, The College of William and Mary, 2002
M.A., History, The College of William and Mary, 1992
B.A. History and Economics, Bucknell University, 1991
Research and Teaching Interest
Representative Scholarly Activity
- “Origins of Mob Town: Social Division and Racial Conflict in the Baltimore Riots of 1812,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 104:3 (2009): 272-301.
- “Certain Victims of an International Contagion: The Panic of 1797 and the Hard Times of the 1790s in Baltimore,” Journal of the Early Republic, 25:4 (2005): 565-613.
- “Unforeseen Troubles: Baltimore’s Atlantic Trade and the Commercial Frustrations of the Confederation Period,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 98:4 (2003): 410-441.
- “Robert Shalhope, The Baltimore Bank Riot: Political Upheaval in Antebellum America,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 2011.
- “Seth Rockman, Scraping By: Wage Labor, Slavery, and Survival in Early Baltimore,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 104:1 (2009): 76-77.
- “Lawrence Peskin, Manufacturing Revolution: The Intellectual Origins of Early American Industry,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 99:4 (2004): 511-13.
- “John Majewski, A House Dividing: Economic Development in Pennsylvania and Virginia before the Civil War,” The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, 126:1 (2002): 144-45.
- “Graham Russell Hodges, Slavery, Freedom, and Culture Among Early American Workers,” The History Teacher, 33:4 (2000): 558-559.
- “George R. Price and James Brewer Stewart, To Heal the Scourge of Prejudice: The Life and Writings of Hosea Easton,” Journal of the Early Republic, 20:2 (2000): 341-343.
- “Midori Tagaki, Raising Wolves Among Us: Slavery in Richmond, 1780-1860,” Maryland Historical Magazine, 94:3 (1999), 369-371.
- 2010…Omohundro Institute of Early American History & Culture Colloquium: “The Semiotics of the Manufacturing Revolution: Cultural Identification and Economic Realities in Early Baltimore City Directories”
- 2009…Virginia Social Sciences Association: “The Semiotics of the Manufacturing Revolution”
- 2009…VSU Academy for Faculty Development: “The Exclusionary Myth and the Case for Retaining the Atlantic World Approach in American Historiography”
- 2008…Virginia Forum: “Neo-Mercantilism, American Style: James Madison and the Virginia Port Bill of 1784”
- 2008…Society for Historians of the Early American Republic (SHEAR): “The Semiotics of the Manufacturing Revolution”
- 2008…N.E.H. Workshop on War, Reconstruction and Civil Rights, 1861-1965: “Reconstruction Betrayed: The Courts’ Constitutional End-Run around the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments”
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Tocqueville Seminar on the Atlantic World, University of Richmond, Summer 2010
- N.E.H. Grant for “Local History in a Global Context: Petersburg’s African American History in the Context of the Atlantic World” (Phase II), Senior Project Member, 2009-2010
- N.E.H. Grant for “Local History in a Global Context: Petersburg’s African American History in the Context of the Atlantic World” (Phase I), Senior Project Member, 2008-2009
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Program on Early American Economy and Society, Library Company of Philadelphia, 2003-04
Representative Service Activity
- Advisory Group member, Pennsylvania Campus Compact, 2010- 2012
- Grant Reviewer, Pennsylvania Campus Compact Learn & Serve grants, 2007- 08
- Co-Chair, Conference Planning Committee, 2007-08, Active Global Citizenship Conference; Lock Haven, PA
- Conference Planning Committee, 2006- 07, Pennsylvania Campus Compact
- Section Co-editor, 2000- present, Encyclopedia of Appalachia
- Scholarship Committee Member, 2000- 2001, Appalachian Studies Association
- Pay Equity Task Force, Chair, 2011-present
- Vice Chair, 2009-11
- Department Representative, 2007-09
- Admissions and Retention Committee, 2007-present
- Strategic Planning Task Force, 2011-12
- University Council, 2009-11
- Vice President for Academic Affairs’ Ad Hoc Committee on the Budget, 2010
- Vice President for Student Affairs Enrollment Task Force, 2008-09
- VSU Business and Industry Cluster, 2007-10; co-chair, Programs Committee, 2009-10
- Institute for the Study of Race Relations, steering committee member, 2005-09
- Graduate Program (2004-present); co-chair, 2005-present
- Scheduling Advisory Committee (2004-present)
- Accreditation Committee (2009-present)
- Curriculum Committee (2009-present)
- Technology and Distance Ed Committee (2009-present)
- History Club advisor, 2004-09
- Phi Alpha Theta National Honors Society, advisor, 2004-09
- Pedagogy Committee, 2007-09
- Recruitment & Retention Committee, 2004-09
- Search Committees (2004-05, 2005-06, two in 2006-07, 2011-12)
- Parent Volunteer, Matthew Whaley Elementary School, 2009-2012
- Williamsburg Youth Baseball League
- Asst Coach, 9-10 Yr-Old [Majors] Red Sox, Spring 2012
- Asst Coach, 9-10 Yr-Old Rockies, Fall 2011
- Head Coach, 8-Yr Old Machine-Pitch Phillies, Spring 2011
- Asst Coach, 7-Yr Old Machine-Pitch Yankees, Spring 2010
- Williamsburg Parks & Recreation Youth Basketball League
- Head Coach, 8 & Under Nuggets, Winter 2011-12